Friday, October 14, 2011

Roasted Salmon with Herbed Polenta Chips

I wasn't too fussed with putting in too much effort tonight, it was warm and I didn't want to spend too long in the kitchen. I knew we would be having salmon, as that's what I had waiting to be used, but I did want to try and deliver the salmon in a way I hadn't done before. When I'm feeling lazy, I will often do Salmon & Gnocchi, as it's so easy, but I decided I needed to do something a little different.

Unlike Spencer, Philip is not a huge fan of polenta, however I thought he would be accepting of putting it in chip form which is exactly what I did.

Basic Soft Polenta

2 cups chicken stock

1.5 cups (375ml) milk

1 cup (170g) instant polenta

30g butter, chopped

1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan

sea salt & cracked black pepper

Step 1 Place the stock and milk into a large saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil

Step 2 Gradually whisk the polenta into the milk and stock mixture. (It's very important to gradually add the polenta to the hot stock while continually whisking. This will prevent any lumps from forming and give the polenta a perfectly smooth texture.)

Step 3 Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.

Step 4 Remove from heat, add the butter, parmesan, salt & pepper and stir to combine.

Herbed Polenta Chips

1 x quantity basic soft polenta

1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves

1 tablespoon thyme leaves

olive oil for brushing

sea salt flakes for sprinkling

Make the basic polenta, subtituting the milk with 1 1/2 half cups extra chicken stock. Add the herbs at the end of the cooking process. Spoon into a lightly greased baking tray and spread to 1cm thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.

Preheat oven to 220°. Cut the polenta into 2cm x 10cm fingers, brush with oil and sprinkle witth salt. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crisp.

I put my chips in the oven for the time stated, but I also had them in the oven for 20 minutes on 180° when I was cooking the salmon and the vine ripened cherry tomatoes.

2 x 150g salmon fillets
vine ripened cherry tomatoes
olive oil for drizzling

I just did as normal, placed the salmon into a baking dish with the tomotoes, drizzled the olive oil and into the oven, no longer than 20 minutes, I don't like my salmon to be over cooked.

I served with a spinach and rocket salad (with some avocado) and Philip said it was very nice, so I know he liked it, if he doesn't like something, he doesn't say anything!

Oh, I also did aioli for the polenta chips.

Aioli

1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 cup vegetable oil
sea salt flakes

Place the egg, lemon juice and garlic in a blender an d process until well combined. With the motor running, pour the oil in, slowly, in a thin stream and process until the mixture is thick and creamy. Add salt and combine makes 310ml.

We had this with a bottle of Baillieu Chardonnay 2009, from the Mornington Peninsula.


I have to say that I did cheat with my herbs in the polenta chips, I didn't have any fresh, so
rather than take two kids out with me to get them, I just used dried herbs, Italian blend.


The basic soft polenta and the herbed polenta chip recipe come from Donna Hay - A Cook's Guide.




No comments:

Post a Comment