Thursday, October 13, 2011

One pan Fish Curry and Jasmine Rice

This was not the particular fish recipe I wanted to use, but I thought it looked good and would work with the rockling I had. This was taken from Donna Hay Magazine Issue 20 March/April 2005.

Ingredients

20g butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
1 cup jasmine rice
1 1/2 cups of water
4 x 150g fish fillet
1/2 cup cocnut milk
1 tablespoon red curry paste
3 green onions, thinly sliced - I didn't use these as it was the only thing I didn't have

Heat a large non stick frying pan over high heat. Add the butter, oil, onion and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes or until the rice in coated with the oil and butter. Add the water and bring to the boil. When tunnels form in the rice place the fish on the rice. Combine the coconut milk and the red curry paste and pour over the fish. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 7 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. To serve, top with green onions. Serves 4.

I did a slight disaster in the kitchen while doing this. I actually put the lid on my fry pan before moving it to the smaller burner (I can turn the big one down, but it's still too high). So, I turn the smaller burner on and I pick the pan up with my left hand, normally this would not be a problem, however due to a not quite healed netball injury from some weeks ago, I have a very weak left thumb and I tend to overestimate it's capabilities. The glass lid of my big fry pan fell to the floor and smashed into, what I am sure is, at least a million pieces! Therefore, it cooked without the lid and I felt I needed to use a little more coconut milk that just half a cup. The result tasted very good, however I am sure it's not on Philip's list of 'please make again soon', but I know he isn't a huge fan of red curry to begin with, sometimes you just have to make things to suit yourself. Philip won in the long run when dinner was followed with the sensational dessert!

I served it with some asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment