Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mixed Mushroom Baked Risotto

I had the night off from cooking last night, instead, we had Chinese take-away, I love Tai Pan's Chilli Prawns! We had been out for Spencer's birthday party today, so didn't get the chance to go shopping, had to rely on what I already had and I wanted something simple!

I loved the way the baked risotto turned out a few nights ago (yes, I am already a convert), so I thought I'd look at another risotto, this time the mixed mushroom one.

Ingredients

  • 10g butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 100g field mushrooms, sliced
  • 100g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
  • 100g button mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 ½ cup arborio (or risotto) rice
  • 4 ½ cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup finely grated parmesan
  • 40g unsalted butter
  • sea salt and cracked black pepper

Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter, oil, garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden. Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Place the rice, stock and mushroom mixture in a 22 x 30cm (8½ x 12 in) 10-cup (80 fl oz) capacity baking dish and stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until most of the stock is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Add the parmesan, butter, salt and pepper and stir until the butter is melted. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

I decided to use 200g of the Swiss Brown mushrooms and 100g of the button mushrooms, as I didn't have any field mushrooms on hand. I think the Swiss Brown have a fantastic flavour, Philip asked me whether I had put truffle in it, it was very earthy.

I was a bit slack at getting a good pic of tonight's dinner, I used the iPod touch as opposed to the DSLR, I figured you couldn't see much of it for the shaved parmesan anyway!


Once again, find this great recipe on Donna Hay's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment