Monday, October 17, 2011

Ratatouille Provencale

Cheating slightly here, even though this is new, I have made it once before, but I thought as it came from one of my cookbooks that I very recently received, it should be included here. This recipe was taken from French Brasserie Cookbook The Heart of French Homecooking by Daniel Galmiche.

Ingredients

100ml olive oil

1 eggplant, cut into large cubes

1 onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1 red capsicum, deseeded and sliced

1 green capsicum, deseeded and sliced

1 large or 2 small zucchini, cubed

400g tomatoes, peeled deseeded and cut into large cubes

a pinch of caster sugar

1 bouquet garni

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)

a small handful of basil leaves to serve

In a large cast iron pan, heat the oild over medium heat. Add the eggplantand cook for 4-5 minutes until softened, but not coloured. Add the onion

, garlic and capsicumand cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in the zucchini, tomatoes and sugar. Add the bouquet garni and simmer gently, partially covered over low to medium heat for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

When ready, check the seasoning and add some salt and pepper, if necessary. Sprinkle with basil and serve with rice or pasta.

I don't yet have a large cast iron pan, but I have bookmarked a website and I will be getting one or two very soon! The first time I did this I used a casserole dish that was able to be used on the stove top, however even though I had the (small) burner on low, it still burned the bottom of the dish a little. Tonight I decided to use my well used large fry pan, which due to kitchen incident last week, now has no lid (must see if I can get a new one from Kitchen Aid). It cooked well in the fry pan though, however that has not put me off the need to get the cast iron cookware. I am definitely happy to eat this just on its own, contains my favourite vegetables, but I cooked some pasta for Philip and served it with the pasta mixed through.

We had a bottle of Penfold's Thomas Hyland Chardonnay, but I can't help but think this would have been better with a Pinot Noir, the Miceli would have been ideal.



No comments:

Post a Comment