Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bitter Orange Ice Cream

This is not really new, I've made it a few times before, but so worthy of a mention as it is so nice. I don't think it will be ready enough to eat tonight, but should be right for tomorrow.

Ingredients

3 Seville oranges or 1 eating orange
2 limes
175g icing sugar
584 mil double cream

  1. If using Seville oranges, grate the zest of 2 of them. Squeeze the juice of all 3 and pour into a bowl with the zest and sugar. If you're going for the sweet orange and lime option, grate the zest of the orange and one of the limes, juice them and add to the sugar as before.
  2. Stir to dissolve the sugar and add the double cream.
  3. Whip everything until it holds soft peaks, and then turn into a shallow air-tight container (of approximately 2 litres) with a lid.
  4. Cover and freeze until firm (from 3 to 5 hours). Remove to ripen for 15-20 minutes (or 30-40 in the fridge) before eating.


I didn't have any Seville oranges, so just used a normal orange. As I have made this before, I also opted not to use double cream, just thickened cream, I found the double cream too rich. I omitted the zest on Isobel's request, she doesn't like it.

This recipe comes from the Nigella Bites cookbook by Nigella Lawson and can be found on her website.



The ice cream was ready tonight and is as Nigella says, 'unlike anything you could buy'!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks divine! Must say I have no idea what Seville oranges are though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really nice, a flavour you just don't get with commercial ice cream. I found this on Seville oranges. http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Herbs-Fruit-and-Vegetables/Seville-Oranges:-The-French-Alternative/1752

    ReplyDelete