Sunday, November 13, 2011

Salmon Pappardelle

As it was Sunday I asked Philip if he wanted a 'nice breakfast' or if he was happy having toast or cereal, he opted for the 'nice breakfast', which was not surprising. I made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, Spencer decided that he wanted some as well, so he got half of mine. As there was a decent, late breakfast, we didn't have any lunch, therefore we were a little hungry come dinner time.

I'd bought some fresh pappardelle at the supermarket today, so I thought I might as well use it.

Ingredients

2 medium red capsicums
500g pappardelle pasta
750g salmon fillet
200g cherry tomatoes halved
2 tablespoons capers
300g English spinach, finely shredded
3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely shredded
zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil

Place the capsicums under a grill preheated to high until the skin blackens. Transfer to a plastic bag to cool. Peel and discard the skin, remove the seeds and cut the flesh into thin strips.

Cook the papparedelle in a large pan of rapidly boiling water until al dente. Drain and keep warm.

Cook the salmon fillet under a grill preheated to high for 5 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Cool slightly, then break into large pieces.

Arrange the tomatoes and capers on a non stick baking tray and cook under the grill preheated to medium for 5 minutes or until the tomato skins have softened and the capers are crisp.

Put the pasta, capsicums, salmon, tomatoes, capers, spinach, basil, lemon zest and olive oil into a bowl and toss to combine. Serves 4.

This was the recipe that I took from Pregnancy Food by Jody Vassallo (no, neither Philip or I are pregnant), however I did change it slightly to suit myself. I didn't have capers, so included Kalamta olive instead and I did not shred the spinach, I didn't see the need. I also used much less salmon, even though I would have been halving this recipe, because I was only making it for two, I used a salmon fillet that was 150g - it was all I had! We did without the lemon zest too. We both enjoyed it though.


No comments:

Post a Comment