Monday, October 31, 2011

Easy Tomato & Zucchini Lasagne

This recipe says easy and even though it wasn't hard, I have to be honest and say it's one of the most disappointing meals I have made of late. It appeared to have 'disaster' written all over it, for me anyway!

Ingredients

1kg fresh ricotta cheese
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 x 440g cans peeled tomatoes, crushed
2 cups tomato puree
1/3 cup chopped basil
375g fresh lasagne sheets
750g or 5 zucchinis, thinly sliced (I used 750g of thinly sliced zucchinis and I had so much left over already cut up, probably more than half)
1 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 180°. Combine the ricotta, parsley, parmesan salt and pepper to make the ricotta layer. Combine the tomatoes, tomato puree and basil for the tomato layer. To assemble, line the base of a 14 cup capacity ovenproof dish with lasagne sheets. Top with some of the ricotta mixture and zucchini slices, then spoon over some of the tomato mixture to cover. Top with another lasagne sheet. Continue with the layers until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a tomato layer. Top with the mozzarella and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and cheese is golden. Serve with a simple green salad. Serves 4.

This recipe comes from Donna Hay's The Instant Chef.

Once again, I ran into the time in oven problem! I removed this from the oven after 30 minutes and it clearly was not ready. I put it in for ano
ther half hour and yes, the cheese was golden, but the zucchini had more bite to it than I expected, it needed more cooking. It also quite literally feel apart, definitely did not look like a slice of lasagne on the plate, looked more like a mess, it just didn't hold together. I covered the left over with cling wrap and put it in the fridge, it held up so much better the next day and was far more tasty the next day too. I know this was not a pleaser to Philip as he said nothing about it! I don't think I will attempt this one again any time soon, think I will stick to my Pumpkin, Spinach and Goats Cheese Lasange in future.


Pic was taken before it had its extra half hour in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment